PHOTO GALLERY – Tuffley Junction
‘4F’ 0-6-0 No. 43924 heads a southbound coal train from Gloucester to Westerleigh in July 1960.
‘Patriot’ 4-6-0 No. 45519 Lady Godiva smokes out Tuffley Junction signalbox as it heads south with the Sunday 11.20am departure from Gloucester bound for Bristol in July 1960.
Excursion Z10 heads for Gloucester approaching Cole Avenue bridge behind a ‘Castle’ class 4-6-0 on a Sunday in July 1960.
An unidentified ‘WD’ 2-8-0 with steam to spare trudges south with a mixed freight in July 1960.
‘Black 5’ 4-6-0 No. 44962 heads south with a Sunday seaside excursion on 31 July 1960.
Taken from Stroud Road bridge, ‘9F’ 2-10-0 No. 92152 approaches Tuffley Junction with a southbound freight on Western tracks whilst a northbound freight heads north along the Tuffley Loop in October 1962.
0-4-2T No. 1424 approaches the ‘Double Bridges’ with the 1.10pm Gloucester to Chalford auto-train on Christmas Eve, 1962.
‘WD’ 2-8-0 No. 90588, which has somehow managed to from its home shed Darlington, clanks slowly south with a coal train from the Midlands, whilst a motorized Engineer’s trolley attempts to keep pace on the up Western track on a cold dull 2 February 1964.
Showing a good head of steam, Standard ‘5’ 4-6-0 No. 73010 leaves a trail of smoke across the signal box at Tuffley Junction as it forges south in fine style with the Saturday 7.43am Nottingham to Plymouth (1V31) on 4 July 1964. Note St Barnabas church in the background, and the field now occupied by the houses of St Barnabas Close.
‘B1’ 4-6-0 No. 61315 speeds under Cole Avenue bridge with the Saturday 7.50am Paignton to Newcastle (1N79) on 4 July 1964.
On 7 September 1962 ‘Castle’ class 4-6-0 No. 7001 Sir James Milne heads the south past Tuffley Junction with the last ‘Cornishman’, the 9.0am Wolverhampton LL to Penzance and Kingswear. From the start of the winter timetable a major recasting resulted in an acceleration and rerouting of this service to start from Bradford, as the full impact of wholesale dieselisation became felt. Ironically, the locomotive is named after the last General Manager of the Great Western Railway, a man implacably opposed to nationalisation and the creation of British Railways in 1948.
‘Castle’ class no. 7014 Caerhays Castle crosses to the Western lines at Standish Junction with 1H22, the 2.0pm Weston-super-Mare to Birmingham Snow Hill on 8 September 1962.